Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Taking A Trip To The Backyard – with Scott Severin & The Milton Burlesque



(L to R)Gary Foster, Tim Ranard, and Rev. Pfloyd (foreground) Scott Severin

Taking A Trip To The Backyard – with Scott Severin & The Milton Burlesque

I met Scott on Facebook, through a mutual 'Facebook-friend'. When I listened to his sounds, the first thing that I did was write him an email saying “...HEY!! Why the hell have I never heard of you??!!!..”

So, the love affair began. I wanted more of Scott's stuff. I pre-ordered his CD – 'BirdHouse Obbligato'

It arrived in the mail, and the first thing I did was rip the packaging open like a kid at Christmas and popped it into my CD player. First song '1000 Heroes'. I noticed this lyric “...we held hands as we stumbled into Hell...” and this one “...we were slaves and yet we still were free...”. Lots of paradoxical writings and probably some personal experiences for Scott.

Let me skip ahead to track 4 – title of the song is 'Farshtaist' – until I heard this song, I had never even known that word existed. I looked it up – a word from Yiddish meaning 'Do you understand?' It is pronounced FASH-tay (for those of you that remember phonics from school). This song is very interesting, educational and melancholic all at the same time.

“...now I got this little girl, she got her mother's eyes and her father's curls, and I dunno what I'm gonna say when she asks me 'bout the evils in this world...” and “..I don't know how long I can stay, Farshaist...”

These lyrics, being a parent, watching all three of my kids being squeezed, pushed or surgically brought into this 'cesspool' we call Mother Earth, really, REALLY got to me. I see that the writer was quite depressed when the song was written. I can say, yes, sometimes this world can be a swarm of horrid, diabolical evils. However, when I go out into my backyard sit still for about 5 minutes and move nothing but my eyes, I can see Mother Nature's wonders all around. It is especially more elegant when I can share it with my wife, my daughter and my son. I absolutely loved the song and listened to it over and over. Finally, I spoke with Scott and he told me that the song “...is basically a suicide note..”. I will be honest – quite a number of the references that Scott spoke of, I had to look up. Some references to the Skin Trade, some war, and some personal stuff that I will ask him about over a few beers when he tours out this way.

Scott has a captivating voice, however, I think the poor man was born tone-deaf. Like many before him, such as Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Nick Cave, Neil Young, Johnny Cash and Ian Curtis, I don't think that Scott could carry a tune if his life depended on it. However, if you want vocal talent, listen to Micheal Buble or Josh Groban. If you want poetry and some really good stories, listen to Scott Severin & The Milton Burlesque.

My final word: worth 60 seconds of your time and $10 of your cash to go out to CD baby and download it. It is rare in this day and age that a CD shows so much creativity and originality. I can almost guarantee you that you will not hear this on any Clearchannel or CBS Joint, but I really think Scott and his crew deserve a try.

Enjoy your walk out to the backyard - and say hello to the birds in your Birdhouse Obbligato


(Note to Scott - find some peace - I know I am still looking!)

1 comment:

Deen said...

Severin is a horse's ass.